Sunday, September 2, 2012

What Makes a "Tween" Title?

L'Engle, Madeline. A Wrinkle In Time. Dell Publishing. 1962. 211 pages. Pb. $6.49, ISBN 978-1-25000-467-3
    
     When A Wrinkle In Time was written in 1962, and even the first time that I read it more than 20 years later, the term "tween" didn't exist. So how can you tell that this title falls into the category that most would agree is distinguished by being appropriate for children 8-12? In this case, it centers around the issues being faced by the narrator, the awkward, approximately 12 year old sister, Meg. She is in the "inbetween" phase, thus the origin of the word "tween" (Maughan, S., 2002). She is neither child, nor teen, struggling with themes such as identity and fitting in, desiring desperately to  both be herself and be like the pretty "normal" girls, or even more so, like her brilliant and beautiful mother.

     Meg also struggles with other internal issues such as social competencies, such as peaceful conflict resolution, interpersonal competence, cultural compentence and decision making (40 Developmental Assets for Middle Childhood, 2007). She responds with physical reactions when frustrated or verbally provoked. She prefers the company of her misunderstood little brother than children her own age and is generally untrusting of her classmates and even adults, especially where their motives are concerned. She also constantly questions her own decisions, worried that an incorrect decison will cause or has caused some sort of catastropy and is conflicted about her academics as the she is unmotivated in school, whether due to disinterest or not being challenged enough, and teacher's preconceived notions about her intelligence and family.

     External issues include feeling alienated from all adults aside from her parents, completely unvalued and uninvolved in decisions in the immediate environment that affect her, as well as feeling unsafe or unappreciated anywhere but home. She has no positive peer influences until she meets the slightly older Calvin, who may be well liked at school, but has a difficult home life, which makes it easier for Meg to appreciate what she does have in her life, and leads to her feeling less alienated and alone as she realizes that even those who are well liked may have problems very similar to hers.
In direct comparison she does have a strong, if not complex, home life. Though her father is considered missing, and her mother is somewhat distracted, she is a loving and devoted mother, which leads to positive values and due to the emphasis on intellectual exploration in the household, some sort of committment to learning, though it might be less conventional (40 Developmental Assets for Middle Childhood, 2007). She provides boundaries and rules, understanding and unconditional love for all her children. She reassures them, defends them, and tries to help them see the best of the situation in which they find themselves. While the twin 10 year old brothers seem almost outsiders to the struggle, as they are well liked and considered "normal", the mother, Meg and her little brother, Charles Wallace, form a united front, supporting one another in hard times. Even the twins do try to help , to some extent, telling Meg that it is their responsibility to handle the physical alterations when one of the Murray's families integrity is called into question (L'Engle, M., 1962, p. 4-5) .

     On a personal note, I know this is a tween book as I read it myself as part of an advanced reader program in the 5th grade, at the age of 10. I was going through a lot of the same issues....living with a sibling and a single parent, not fitting in, having low self-esteem, feeling ugly and awkward, questioning my own intelligence and decisions constantly, having difficulty trusting and bonding with other children after a number of moves in a short period of time and some bad experiences after my parents' divorce. It was a difficult transitional period which really didn't end until I started high school 4 years later. But, during that time, it was books like A Wrinkle in Time that let me know that I wasn't alone and that it might just be possible to find the things I was looking for in my life. That you could go through that growing process and come out alright on the other side, and that there were some childish beliefs or dreams that were ok to hang on to while growing into a new metaphorical skin. Maybe that's why, after all those years, I still had my own copy to pull out and read for this post! 

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on a Wrinkle in Time. I also read this book before, although in grade 4, but for some odd reason, I couldn't really remember the "realistic" parts of the story (i.e. feelings of alienation, Meg's social traits, relationships between family members). I remembered more of the fantasy aspect such as when they traveled to different planets and fought various creatures. One thing that stood out in my mind was the quality of love that Meg used to overcome IT.

    I liked the point you brought out about Meg being a 12 year old girl. People often like to read about characters that they can relate to and so that makes this book perfect for tweens. I also enjoyed reading your own experiences and how books like these helped you feel less alone. Although I did not have the exact same circumstances as you in life, I also found solace in the many books I read as a tween.

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise, I think that being able to escape into a book as well as being able to relate to it are the best measures of the success and writing of tween literature. As as child, I definitely focused most on the fantasy, but the emotional memory of my first time reading it (coupled with confusion because I read A Swiftly Tilting Plant first, is one of connection with Meg and that she was lovable and capable of loving. That gave me hope. I like to think of good books as having helped shape me into who I am now. I hope for the same for the generations of kids that came after me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your excellent review on A Wrinkle In Time. Quite honestly this is not a book that I have read before and I must say I am a little ashamed to be admitting to the fact that I have not read this very popular classic. I work very closely with the notorious “tweens” and I must say that I witness these same scenarios with my students on a daily basis. The tween years are such a strange time in a person’s life and the emotional and developmental changes that take place between the 6th and 8th grade level is downright intriguing. As an outsider looking in, I witness these girls and boys struggling to fit in, trying to figure out who they are and who their friends are. On top of all of these new emotional developments and struggles, throw in puberty, hormones, and testosterone, and you have the perfect character for a tween book.
    From the sounds of your review, every one of my students would be able to relate to the lead character in this book. Of course it would be a little bit tougher to get the boys to identify with a 12 year old girl character (and admitting it) than it would be the girls (unless their friends were doing it too) but the message is clear and the character is a person that any individual who is currently going through or has ever been at the teen level and survived. I’m going to read and review this book for myself this semester and hopefully be able to recommend it to some willing readers that will be able to relate to Meg and her Journey and gain a lot from such a wonderful message. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kara,
    I really enjoyed your post about A Wrinkle in Time. I re-read this book this summer after about 30+ years and I still came away feeling it is more of a sci-fi/fantasy novel than what I consider a tween read. But it is a classic tween book. One reason is because the age of the protagonist makes it appropriate for tween readers, but also because it deals with Meg’s “complex” family situation and her growing independence as she struggles to deal with it (Harlan, lecture 1, 2012). I remember this being one of the first really “important” books that I read when I was young. It made me feel important and worldly. Harriet the Spy made me feel the same way. I think this may be because I could identify with these characters that were out there on their own doing important things and learning about the world around them.

    Your post made me think about the spectrum of the tween label and how much change and development takes place and at such a varied rate in that “tween” age range of 8 – 12. While there are many similarities between Harriet and Meg, they seem to be at slightly different stages of tween development which is most apparent in how they perceive the world and themselves in it. Where Meg is aware of her awkwardness and desiring to be like the “pretty, ‘normal’ girls,” Harriet is still young enough where tween self-consciousness hasn’t come into play. Where Meg is aware of Calvin and sees him a bit romantically, Harriet still sees boys as either buddies (Sport) or totally gross (Pinky Whitehead). Where Meg is able to be sympathetic to Calvin and his home situation and her mother being sad and distracted, Harriet is still very egocentric and is just starting to develop an awareness that other people have feelings, “’Don’t you think that maybe all those mean things made them angry?’ Harriet considered this as though it had never entered her mind” (p. 198); and, in the case of Ole Golly, lives separate from her own, “This is incredible. Could Ole Golly have a family? I never thought about it.” (p. 12)

    Both these characters are appealing to tweens because Harriet and Meg are dealing with issues that are important to tweens – navigating the social world at school, feeling awkward or like an outsider, dealing with family relationships or changes to the family structure. As Anderson wrote, “There are cognitive, emotional, and social differences among youth of different ages, and during the preteen and teen years, these changes occur at different times” (2007, p. 2). So even though Harriet and Meg are both tweens, experiencing a “time of exploration, growth, change, and turbulence,” (Anderson, 2007, p. 2) their attitudes reflect just how different tweens can be, regardless of age, depending on where they are on the cognitive, emotional, and social growth spectrum.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Anderson, S.B. (2007). Childhood left behind: ‘Tweens, young teens and the library. In S.B. Anderson (Ed.), Serving young teens and ‘tweens (p. 1-30). Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casey,
    I know that we read this book in a mixed group and I might single out Meg a little more than the boys would because I myself am female. I would think that boys would easily identify with Charles Wallace. He may be young but he acts like a tween, or sometimes older. Calvin is bordering on the tween age limit and has less of a commanding presence but I think that the struggle to fit in and discover your own identity cross all gender lines.

    An interesting side note, rereading this I thought it might be a metaphorical reference to the fight between good and evil, the Christian God and the Devil, similar to the Narnia books...based on the centaur like creatures singing about "The Lord" and then the appearance on another Earth-like planet of the "Man with the Red Eyes" being so evil and controlling, taking away all decision making capabilities while offering the easy way out using deception. Tell me if I'm off base.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kallie,

    I don't recall ever having read Harriet the Spy, but I can see by your description that it could be for the younger spectrum of the tween range, much like Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (the series) which I adored in elementary school. A Wrinkle In Time, I think, deals with those identity issues that are much more relevant starting at about age 10 when puberty is a much more realistic threat, as Casey said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kara,
    Harriet the Spy probably is geared toward a slightly younger audience, although Harriet is 11 and is dealing with very real tween world issues, i.e. being shunned from a peer group. I do think 11 to 12 is a big year in adolescent development - it's kind of the year you really jump from childhood to teen and the year when girls will start to become more self-conscious. What's also interesting is that both these books were written in the 60s at a time when kids didn't have the marketing power they do today and weren't assaulted with images of what they're "supposed to" be, think, look like, dress like, etc. (Interestingly, there is not one mention of television in either book). I think back then, without all the media exposure, tweens got to stay kids a bit longer so an eleven still seemed more a child than a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "On interesting side note, rereading this I thought it might be a metaphorical reference to the fight between good and evil, the Christian God and the Devil, similar to the Narnia books...based on the centaur like creatures singing about "The Lord" and then the appearance on another Earth-like planet of the "Man with the Red Eyes" being so evil and controlling, taking away all decision making capabilities while offering the easy way out using deception. Tell me if I'm off base."

    Kara, in no way do I think you are off base. In fact, from you description I would have to say that I agree with you. Your theory is a great one, especially since we are dealing with the ages that we are dealing with in this story and the scenarios that tweens are usually faced with when they are trying to find their way in the world are tough decisions that at one point or another, they will have to make. From our reading about the 40 Developmental Assets for Middle Childhood I think social competencies, positive identity, values etc. can really be applied when discussing your theory. At this age, tweens are faced with a little more freedom to start thinking for themselves, and it's up to them to discover boundaries and fulfilling the notion of what's expected of them. It always comes down to making the right choice and which way they will be swayed..will it be on the side of good or will they give in to peer pressure and outside influences and go the evil route? Choices, choices!

    Thanks for also throwing in information about my boys identifying with Charles Wallace. They may really like the fact the he acts older than his age, I recently learned that kids are attracted to older and more mature characters. Something I should have known, since I was this age once!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Casey, I think that one of the biggest gifts we have for the children in our sphere of influence is our own experiences. I remember vividly what it was like to be a kid at many different ages and I think it helps me relate to kids and really understand how they think. That's helpful to remember when exploring literature because often the other is a lot better at explaining the point than I ever will be. It's like find a hug, a pat on the back, encouragement and sympathy in between the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with both of you, Casey and Kara, that the story is about the struggle between good and evil and has a very similar feel to the Narnia books. Thinking in terms of the tween audience, I wonder if L'Engle was sending a message about conformity in the scene with the town where everything happens exactly the same. For some reason, I love that scene even though it's so creepy.

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Search

Copyright Text