Saturday, August 11, 2018

Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Film)


Image result for guernsey literary and potato peel pie society netflixNewell, M. (Director). (2018). Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society [Video file]. UK: Netflix. Retrieved August 11, 2018, from www.netflix.com                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Awards: None noted....yet.
Once settled in from a long day, late errands, and an even later family meal, I turned on the television, like so many people do these days, to Hulu. Whether due to fortune or fate, playback failed more than once to load "Ghost Adventures," which, while not my favorite, we had been binge watching for lack of other "ghost shows," as my kiddo puts it. So, back to Netflix I went, where the advertising banner across the top of the screen showed a title I remember seeing in my email a day or so ago, "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." I recalled the title because, come on. Who wouldn't? It's long, and ungainly and I sort of disregarded it but a little corner of my mind stayed curious. When the quick blurb mentioned the reunion of a number of cast members from the critically acclaimed television program, Downton Abbey, the time was right, my interest was right and I was hooked, ready to press play.

Now a little background, because I did some homework. "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" was originally a book, like SO many movies. I used to have a rule where I would always read the book before the movie, but as I've grown, so too has my approach to this. I have decided to read what presents itself to me first, and watch what presents itself to me first, and then go after the media I missed to compare it to the one I came across, while attempting to appreciate each format on its own. After seeing the movie though, I can tell you, I am desperate to get my hands on the book. (Shaffer, M. A., & Barrows, A. (2018). The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. London: Bloomsbury Publishing.)
Mary Ann Shaffer, from what I read was a librarian, just like me. As strong as her love was for the written word, she longed to write something of her own. A few months after that dream was realized and published, she lost a battle with cancer, and the world lost a great story teller. Mary relied on Annie Barrows to help her complete her vision, when she got sick, and together they created an amazing, deep, heartfelt story of intrigue, humility, romance, healing and redemption. It was the right story, for the right time...at least in my case.
In the wake of World War II, Juliet Ashton (Lily James), like many, has lost everything, her home, but most importantly, her parents...the only family she had. To the naked eye,  she has become a success story, as a celebrated author with a dedicated best friend as a publisher, an increasing bank roll and her dashing, charismatic Yankee fiance. Yet Juliet feels isolated, a drift without a home, without her people. It's an empty feeling that many of us can relate to. In a twist of fate, a man, a farmer, Dawsey (), from the island of Guernsey, located in the English channel between Britain and France, finds a book that once belonged to Juliet, and is still inscribed with an address that allows a letter to find its way to her a twist of fate. The two start a correspondence, bonding over literature and the story of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
The island of Guernsey was occupied by German forces during World War II. They confiscated local livestock, alcohol, luxury and daily goods, imposed a curfew and left the residents in fear. One local woman dared defy them, and brought together her neighbors and friends for an impromptu dinner party, with whatever clandestine foodstuffs they had been hiding or could come up with the materials at hand, like potato peel pie. As the group departed, the majority were confronted by German soldiers who demanded to know why they were out. Under the influence of good times, good company, and homemade gin, they spill out with the explanation that their literary society has just been meeting. When pressed for a name....you guessed it...The Guersney Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. 
The story of the society and the relationships that grew out of it inspire Juliet to make an impromptu visit to the literary society of this sleepy town, still struggling to regain their footing after the war and some heavy personal losses. She finds, once there, that there are secrets to be unearthed, and a sense of purpose she had been missing. In its arms she slowly finds her place and the faces she feels she already knows, though she'd never seen them before, those of her tribe, her family, not by blood, but by choice and experience, who understand, accept, relate to and love her for exactly who she is, something that not even trying to return to the shiny promises of London and a movie-worthy fiance could pry from her heart. In her journey, she finds what her heart truly needs, her purpose, her spark, her truth...where she belongs and what she must do....she must write and she must, go back.
Bottom line, this movie is a romance. It's also an historical-fiction drama. It was brilliantly directed, acted and produced, from outstanding source material. It hit so many check boxes for me. WWII, check. Fantastic cinematography that capture the natural beauty of the landscape, check. Literary appreciation, check. A story of overcoming struggle, healing and finding your true place in the world, though others may not see the value in it, check. A cast of brilliant actors, check, check, check. 
Michiel Huisman was great in "Game of Thrones", as the warrior and lover of Khaleesi. But I first fell in love with him (so-to-speak) in another television show, "Orphan Black," where again, he was a calm in the middle of the dark storm; as passionate, caring, more-than-meets-the-eye protagonist that you could count on, and who could keep surprising you at every turn...something I definitely have longed for. Then again, I fell for him afterwards in one of my favorite movies called "The Age of Adeline," where he falls in love with a woman who has not aged in more than 60 years, and has a past with his family, that he had no idea about. Again, he is passionate, responsible, kind, funny, genuine, handsome, endearing...man if it's type casting, sign me up. His chemistry with his leading ladies is unsurpassed. The man is pure lightening. 
Lily James, who I hear was actually the third (or fourth?) for this role, I had seen and liked in "Downton Abbey", though she had a lesser part as a cousin, which only hinted at her talent, but also starred in "Wrath of the Titans" and "Pride Prejudice and Zombies," not exactly classics, but fun in the right context. Needless to say, this made me a little skeptical when Guersney Literary started. It did not take her long to win me over, to the point that, by the end of the movie, I couldn't think of anyone else who that part could have POSSIBLY belonged to. Then toss into the mix Jessica Brown Findlay, Penelope Wilton (whom I ADORE), Tom Courtenay, and the ever relatable Katherine Parkinson and Matthew Goode and really, there was no way I was not going to love this film! So much so that I literally quit folding laundry (isn't that what everyone does while watching amazing film?) and immediately messaged one of my friend's 3/4 of the way across the country to tell her that she HAD to watch this movie! She is a writing tutor, a lover of Jane Austen and I knew she would absolutely adore this film, and most likely the book, and I think you will, too. Definitely, definitely, definitely want to own this one for my home library. I don't ever want to be without it. 

1 comment:

Pages

Search

Copyright Text