Sunday, December 9, 2012

Review #46: Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Title: Kinney, Jeff. Diary of A Wimpy Kid. Amulet Books. 2007. 217 pages. Tr. $11.91. ISBN 978-0-8109-9313-6
Genre: Fiction
Reading Level/Interest Level: 5.0/ Grades 5-8
Series: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Similar Titles: (better recommended) Hannah’s Journal by Marissa Moss, Holes by Louis Sachar, Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

Diary of a Wimpy Kids is written as the mom-imposed journal of new, yet scrawny, middler school, Gregg Heffley. Written in a sarcastic and sardonic manner and covered in cartoons, after all, the concept did start out as a web comic, it’s entertaining to an adult mind, and to many tweens. Having said that, it is NOT something I would want to expose my daughter to at a younger age, which is something to be careful of for those of you that have advanced readers and I will make absolutely certain that she understands the value of hardwork, education and being herself before she reads these, so as not to get the wrong idea (and before you ask, no, I am not a stuffed shirt.)

I think Greg’s commentary and disparaging remarks about his brothers, parents, and classmates can be funny, but I also know that this is fiction, and not a reflection of how people should behave, or really even think about those around them. I’m not saying that I didn’t think that the kids around me in middle school were bullies, or apes, weird and crazy or my parents completely out of it. However, if I said anything about it at all, it was to one or two close friends and I immediately felt guilty afterward. Then again, that’s because I know what it’s like to be tormented for being different, and I have a policy about generally trying to be openly accepting and was taught to respect my elders. I don’t think Gregg had that kind of moral coaching and I think that children in the intended age range are too susceptible at this age to be able to separate the humor from the very real similarities in their situations.

However, I can see how Gregg’s struggles in middle school, wondering how to keep his best friend and elevate his own status, get in with the girls, deal with his teachers and catch up with the guys are relevant topics for the intended age group. But to say that he sets a good example and handles the challenges with finesse is, I think, going too far. You don't bad mouth your best friend, lie to your teachers, insult your friends and manipulate people to gain popularity and status, regardless of who you think you are, and unfortunately, that is how Gregg often behaves. As such, I don't think it is terribly surprising that this series is wildly popular. It is rare, after all, that tolerant and graceful behavior is popularized in such a fashion. Only the negative, sarcastic, inappropriate and scandalous meets the front pages.

 So all in all, Diary of a Wimpy Kid can be a funny novel to read, but only if you have a good foundation to compare it to, and a lack of susceptibility to its fashionable plots of getting away with as much as possible while actually doing as little as possible. In the meantime, it continues to be a novel that I skip over when suggesting books to kids. While the series is wildly popular, especially with reluctant readers because of the illustrations and humor element, I think there are more graphic novels and better written books on the subject yet to be explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Search

Copyright Text